Staff Pick

Midterm elections were held Nov. 6. Alaskans had the opportunity to choose a new governor and Lt. governor and United States representative. 

Voting…

Alex Malouf: Voting is important. It is your duty and right as a citizen of the United States. Get out and vote for what you believe in and stay true to your opinions. Don’t stand for slogans. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the midterms, but specifically the Alaska elections. With multiple strong candidates throughout all levels of elections, this election should be a good one to follow.

Olivia Kinunen: Voting is a very valuable privilege that us Americans have. We are blessed to be able to participate in a direct democracy, and to be able to choose who our representatives are. It is disappointing to me that the voter turnout is not very high, especially in young voters and minorities, but that means my own vote would count even more. Since voting is very important to me, when I turn 18 registering to vote will be one of the first things that I will do.

Crist Carlson: Now that I’m 18 and paying attention to the news and finding my political identity I’m realizing the importance of voting. Voting is very important to me and our country. Voting gives the people a voice and the opportunity for the people to speak and stand up for who and what they want. Knowing that the voter turnout is very low in my community and country really motivates me to get out and make sure I cast my vote and try to make a change. This election is really important for our state because it decides who our governor is going to be for the next 4 years and the direction of the state.

Cody Kemble: Is important to our country. We have to opportunity to participate in direct democracy, which means that we get to choose who represents us and runs our government. Americans must educate themselves and vote on candidates they believe will best serve their community, state and country. America is of the people, by the people, and for the people, so we should participate in voting.

Brandon Wieber: is important and shapes how America and our states are prepared in a way. Even though a lot of high schoolers cannot vote it still is important the ones that can do. I will vote once I’m able to because every vote counts. It is kinda ironic though that a lot of adults say it is important to vote even though this years midterms elections only had a 54% turnout of voters. So where exactly is the other 46%? Do they not care or do they not understand politics?

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s